The plane ride was alright, I felt a little queasy, when I come back I will use that medicine stuff you gave me. We got in on Tuesday and met Pres and Sister Jensen! They are great! We went back to the Mission Home and ate food (after a tour, it looked like it was once a plantation!) That was great! Because we didn't get any breakfast or lunch!!! I was STARVING!!!!!! After dinner we had a little meeting where Pres Jensen talked to us about where we will be serving, who our companions are, and just stuff new missionaries needed to know. The weather was actually pretty good when we got to Tallahassee, it was about 64 degrees with a nice breeze :-) We spent the night in the Mission Home and left in the morning. So I lied to you family, I am not anywhere near Tallahassee, I am in Milton, FL which is about 200 miles west of Tallahassee and it's about 20 minutes east from Pensacola, FL. It was a long drive! I tried to sleep as much as I could because there was nothing else to do. We made 2-3drop offs before we got to my area, when we got to Pensacola it was very cold!!! It was mostly cold because it was very windy, and I packed my suit jacket in my suitcase because I didn't think that I would need it. haha. So I was very cold until we got in the car and left, OH! I forgot to tell you that they took away my shaving cream and tooth paste at the airport (In Salt Lake!!!) So we stopped at Wal-mart and got bedding, food, and those things and then went to the apartment. My companions name is Elder Adam and we live with 2 other Elders in out apartment.
After that we went and talked to some members for a while and then went to go do some service, but first we went and picked up a deaf member, (his name is Adam) so he could come be there with us to teach a deaf family. The Second Counselor in the bishopric, (Bro Hathaway) his trampoline had blown away in a huge wind storm! So we helped move it back into his backyard. After that Bro Hathaway joined us too to visit the deaf family. Their names are the Foret's (For-a's, it's French or something) There are 6 in the family (there are 3 adults and 3 girls) the adults are all deaf, there is Tasha, Kevin, and Joey. Tasha and Kevin are married and Joey and Kevin have been friends since they were kids, so they are living together. The 3 girls are: Savannah, Jamie, and Jada, they are 8,9, and 10 (I think.) It was CHAOTIC!!!! We had a very hard time communicating, and Bro Hathaway kinda took over and taught them some things, we didn't like that alot. The girls were very loud, which is a problem because the parents can't hear the arguing. I don't think they learned a whole lot in that lesson. After we left, we dropped Adam off then went to Mutual and met more members! I met a ton! Our Bishop here is Bishop Wilson. Then after we went home.
The next few days were basically visiting members or less active and teaching them and seeing if they have any referrals. They didn't :'( One family we visited was the Long's. They are a family of 7 (5 boys, the dad, 2 teens, I wanna say an 8 year old and a 4 or 5 year old, and 2 girls, the mom and a baby girl), the mom was once a member and had fallen away. We went back the next day because the 8 year old boy(his name is Gabe) had a guitar and it was outta tune, so Elder Adam tuned it up and I played with the other kids. It was mostly just a fellowshipping visit.
On Friday we went back to the Foret's, but this time we had an interpreter? (I think that's how you spell it) It went better, the girls had to stay in their room because they weren't very respectful. Joey was the only adult there at first so we waited for Tasha and Kevin to come home. Like I said it was better because we got to teach them a little bit about the Gospel, but the adults were all on different pages. Tasha is the most progressing, she has been doing homework and reading, Kevin and Joey read occasionally but they have a ton of time to play video games! And on Sunday they came to church and during the Sunday School hour we taught them the first lesson, so they are all on the same page now, they all believe that what we have been telling them is true, but Kevin and Joey don't think they are ready yet. Joey doesn't think he will be ready for about 10 years. Which won't be that long if I have anything to say about it. We are going to talk with them about the Word of Wisdom next time we go.
So guess what happened at Basketball on Saturday mom??? haha, I rolled my ankle. :( and again, no brace. My foot is like the size of a basketball! So I hobble around. The gym was carpeted so I think that that is what caused it.
So yeah that is pretty much my first week in Florida, oh we did have 2-3 dinner appointments which all were great, but no fried foods yet! :) Oh last night there was salad but no ranch, so I tried Zesty Italian, I didn't really like it, but I ate it with potatoes and corn, they (the Simpler's) fed us stake, potatoes, corn, salad, and chocolate pie! It was great! Well that's pretty much all I can think of to tell you.
Love,
Elder Williams
P.S. I actually rolled my right ankle mom, not my left again!!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! just kidding about the laugh, but it swelled up enough to where my foot barely fits in my shoes. And I have been exercising it and heating and cooling it, for heating I have to fill up the tub. haha!
Elder Williams:)
ReplyDeleteWow, what a great start in you mission. I have been to Pensacola, MANY times. Love the area. Have heard of Milton, FL, but not sure I have been there. I was all over FL w/ Eastern Airlines, long ago. Then ex was in FL w/ Bee and I.
Enjoy so much your letters. Keep them coming. What I loved about FL was the Cuban and Puerto Rico food, yum-o. Oh, and well, the beaches too.
Hey, wonder where President Jensen is from. Brezzie's hubby is a Jensen.
LOVE to you, we pray for you daily. Sincerely, virginia