That's awesome about BYU! They will beat Florida like they did last year! And don't worry! I don't think their are any Florida fans in the ward and I don't think I know anyone who is a Florida fan (they are mostly Florida State fans) The Jazz seem to be doing alright! They could do better! Well it's kinda hard for me to take a picture and be in it at the same time! I'm not like Jamie (who is VERY photogenic!!) I'll send one of the elders of the apartment, but it was before transfers and one of the Pace elders got transferred and now there are 3 elders in Pace (1 greenie and 2 ZL's. Elders Sawyer and Haderlie are the new ones to the area, they are pretty cool!)
I am the designated driver now so yes I am clear to drive and I have driven the last 3-4 days! We have a Corolla, it's kinda small for me, like the steering wheel won't raise higher so sometimes it is hard to get in and out.
This week has been pretty good, we have been teaching the Foret's, Robert, and a new investigator Kory Wells (he was referred to us by someone who no longer lives in the area!) It's awesome!! And Robert has been asking for copies of the Book of Mormon to give to some of his friends that have been asking about our church! It is also awesome because he is doing alot more missionary work than alot of the members in the ward! And he isn't a member! You guys should always try to share the gospel with people/ non-member friends!
We unfortuantely had to drop Askana because she had no desire, and she doesn't believe in Joseph Smith and she said she will probably never read the Book of Mormon! It's sad but we weren't getting anywhere with her and thought we could try elsewhere.
On Tuesday district meeting got cancelled, so we decided to go tract and see someone Robert had referred us to. We didn't get in to see them, but later when Robert was there we were able to get in. We were told we were going to help move, so we came in regular clothes, but when we got there and started talking they started asking questions about what we believe, and so we kinda had to do a small lesson that we weren't prepared for. We showed the mom the Articles of Faith, and she had a hard time with number 12 (she asked, "so you guys don't believe in God's law?" We told her we do, but that we must obey the law of the land. She still had a hard time with it.) and the "we believe all things" in number 13 (she said "how can we believe all things, because there is alot of evil?" We didn't have an answer for her, but that was in the Admonition of Paul and we didn't know where that was. It bugged Elder Adam so the next day in personal study he looked for it and found it and he said that Paul says it in the Bible and this family said they believed in the Bible and Paul said that. It was awesome, but I don't think we will go back because they just wanted to find false things in what we believe.) Afterwards Robert came out with us and apologized for how they acted, and that he thought they wanted to know more about us and not try to bash on us. We told him it was ok and that it happens alot with us.
Another story while tracting on Friday (we were on a trade-off, Elders Sawyer and Haderlie came with me and Elder Adam went with Elder Bond) we came to this open door and knocked and a voice said,"who is knocking at my door?" We said,"it's the Mormon missionaries!" He invited us in and we talked for about 20 minutes about what he does and what he has done. His name is Malcolm and he is a mechanic for lawn mowers (the big kind) and he fought in Vietnam, and he has read the Korin (the Muslim book) and the Hindu book while he spent time in the Middle-East and Japan. He told us that he loved researching history on churches. He asked us for a Bible, at first I thought he was talking about an actual Bible, but he was talking about a Book of Mormon! He said he would read it! He is an older man, I'd say about in his late 60's or so and he sees different points of view of things. I hope when he reads the Book of Mormon he will find it to be true! When we first asked him how he was doing, he said crappy and we asked if there was anything we could do to help him. He said no and said that if it gets bad enough I have a gun over there and I will use it. At the end he told us that the gun he was referring to was a gun he used in Vietnam, and it was loaded. He walked over to it and grabbed it, and pulled it out of it's holder. ( I got scared! I didn't want there to be an accident, so I was gonna try to get out of there as soon as we could.) He walked over to us and took out the magazine to show us that it was loaded. After that we had to leave because we were late for dinner. It was scary! But I am still here in one piece! Well that's it for this week, I will talk to you guys next week! Love you all!!
Dear Elder Williams:
ReplyDeleteIf you decide to go back and see Malcolm, please do it outside and not in his home. Vietnam, messed up lots of Vet's minds. Agent Orange is a real thing. If he served on the ground, for any length of time, he was exposed to Agent Orange chemical warfare. I have over 25 male relatives + my dad, that were in Vietnam. Caution, in a good way. WE all deserve the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Having read all those books, he is seeking, he's just not sure what. And, if he was in the heat of battles, this life may not be the place, where he can find the answers to all the things, he has to deal with (bad memories). May our Heavenly Father continue to bless you righly. Bless you, for serving a mission! Sincerely, Virginia (Gary's wife).